What is a dental implant?
Dental implants are a permanent replacement method to restore the function of missing teeth. They consist of two parts. The first component is a titanium rod that is implanted into the jawbone. The second part of the implant contains a manmade crown that becomes the visual part of the implant. The crown is durable enough to withstand the crushing and biting forces of daily tooth function and, since the implant is fused to the jawbone, it will not shift or feel unstable like other prosthetics might feel.
Why should I replace a missing tooth?
Tooth loss contributes to alveolar atrophy, or jawbone shrinkage. Natural teeth stimulate the jawbone when you bite and chew, but in the areas where teeth are missing, the bone no longer receives this stimulation. Without stimulation, the jawbone may deteriorate, causing serious problems to your oral health. It is important to replace a missing tooth and create stimulation for the jawbone structure to remain intact.
Another problem caused by a missing tooth is that the surrounding teeth will often shift or drift out of place to account for the missing tooth, resulting in bite misalignment and making you more susceptible to tooth decay and gum disease.
Adulthood tooth loss can dramatically alter your quality of life, making everyday tasks difficult. . Many patients lack confidence in their smile and have difficulty eating or speaking when they lose teeth. To alleviate both functional and self-esteem issues caused by missing teeth, we offer dental implants that are safe, effective and natural looking.
Holistic Dentists provides patients with many tooth replacement options that help restore tooth function while also improving the look of your smile.
Metal-free Implant Benefits
Metal-free implants offer a variety of advantages over other tooth replacement methods, including increased
- Comfort. Because dental implants are permanently anchored in your mouth, you no longer have to deal with the discomfort of poorly-fitting dentures.
- Function. Implants function just like natural teeth, so you can eat and speak with ease.
- Appearance. Your implants are virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth, so you will be able to show off your smile with confidence.
- Jawbone retention. Implants are artificial tooth roots and therefore stimulate the jawbone like your natural teeth, preventing bone deterioration.
- Oral health. Implants do not require the support of surrounding teeth, so you will not lose any natural tooth structure to place them as you would with a fixed bridge.
- Durability. With proper care, your dental implants will last for many years and possibly your entire lifetime.
- Convenience. Implants can be cleaned in much the same way as natural teeth, which is far more convenient than removing dentures for cleaning or applying gummy adhesives.
What if I have lost multiple teeth?
For patients who have lost multiple teeth, implant-supported dentures are an option for restoring function and improving patient comfort. Traditional dentures often slip out of place, making speaking and eating difficult. We can attach a full set of dentures to just a few implants that are strategically placed in the jawbone. Because they are permanently anchored in your mouth, you will never have to worry about discomfort and slippage again. Many patients report that they feel more confident and comfortable with implant-supported dentures. Dr. Graig Fischgrund will speak with you about your concerns and specific needs for tooth replacement to provide the most appropriate treatment.
To ask questions about holistic dentistry or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Lewis Gross, contact our Tribeca holistic dentist office at (212) 732-2200. We are currently accepting new patients. For your convenience, new patient forms are available for download on our website.